Thursday, January 15, 2009

'24' season premieres

This season's rag-tag, kick-some-ass crew of '24.'

Previously on ‘24’
There was a terrorist making threats against the President or the American people or your neighbor’s dog. The horns sounded, the Jack-o-lantern shown across the sky and Jack came to the rescue. Along the way there was some torture, some extremely quick real-time driving through Los Angeles. CTU had a leak, someone Jack loved was killed, there was some huffing and puffing and blowing down of some houses. At the end of 24 hours, America was safe and Jack was ready to start all over again.

I must admit, that while I DO love ’24,’ the plot line after 6 seasons was getting a little stale. I swore that I wasn’t going to watch this season until my friend over at It's not you. It's not me. It's TV! sent me a little sneak preview clip and I was totally stoked. Then there was a writer’s strike and the season was postponed a year, so when I saw the premier was finally taking place I was pumped for some kick-ass Jack Bauer. Here’s how it played out over two nights.

The following took place between 8a.m. and 10a.m.
Someone from CTU (*cough* Tony) was a traitor. CTU has been disbanded and while facing federal charges for torture, Jack has been asked for his help by the FBI. Apparently, the FBI security isn’t much better than CTU and there is a possible leak there, too.

Chloe has been replaced by a just-as-awkward Janeane Garofalo. There’s a smart ass character, played by Entourage character Billy Walsh. The President, who is a woman this season, has an unstable husband. Jack tortured someone. America is entering into civil war. Innocent lives are threatened. And apparently Tony Almeida isn’t dead after all.

The real kicker: The government was smart enough to have one firewall in place for all communication across the country that could be taken down by one device. Smart. Real smart.

The following took place between 10a.m. and noon
Jack puts someone in a chokehold and demands to know where something is. Even though CTU was disbanded, a group of them is working covertly. Ah-ha. Garofalo didn’t replace Chloe, but rather they are BOTH awkward computer techs, as Chloe is part of the renegade CTU team.

There is a brilliant escape from FBI custody. At the drop of a hat Jack is able to infiltrate into a position with the bad guys.


Ok, so I wasn’t “wow’d” by the 4-hour season premiere like I thought I would be. After the short trailer that I saw last year I thought this season was going to be brilliant, but to me it fell short of my expectations (which is often the case). However, I wasn’t totally disappointed. I thought the first 2 hours were a little slow, but I became more interested by the second 2 hours. Hopefully the next episode, which is only one hour, will be better.

No comments: