Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter leftovers

I spent Easter with my boyfriend's family yesterday. His mom was out of town visiting family and friends, so his dad took the driver's seat on Easter lunch. The spread was amazing. There was a fantastic meat lasagna that is his mom's signature Italian dish (his dad was given very precise step-by-step instructions on how to make it), a honey-baked ham, green beans with toasted almonds, mashed potatoes, salad and bread. With only four of us eating the food there were quite a few leftovers. While my boyfriend claimed much of the lasagna, I managed to escape with some of the ham.

Here's what I did with my Easter leftovers today.

I bought some pre-made herb ravioli with spinach and cheese. I boiled these for 4-5 minutes, while those were cooking I diced one slice of the ham into small squares and cooked them in a pan with about a teaspoon of olive oil.



After I drained the ravioli I added them to the pan with the ham. While those two heated, I steamed about a half a cup of broccoli with lemon pepper on top.


While the ravioli and ham is cooking, add a teaspoon of lemon juice and the zest of half a lemon. Continue heating for about five minutes.


Remove ravioli and broccoli from heat and combine both in a bowl and give it a toss. Squeeze a little more lemon juice over the top of everything. Grate about a teaspoon of fresh Parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy.


Obviously this made only one serving, but can easily be increased for larger portions.

I ate my lunch today while watching the movie New York, I Love You. This is one of those movies that seems to be the who's who when it comes to actors that are involved. From Natalie Portman and Bradly Cooper to James Caan and Cloris Leachman. When you see films with so many familiar names you expect big things. To me, this sometimes tends not to be the case (A Prairie House Companion).


This movie was a collaboration of multiple short stories rolled into one that displayed the many lives and relationships that make New York, New York. Now, I love New York. It's a fantastic city that is always alive with something new. I thought the movie was cute, but not fantastic. It didn't enhance my view of the Big Apple, but I'd say it was worth the peak.

No comments: