Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Biggest Loser, Season 8

Abby, I'm pulling for you girl. Go Green!

There seems to be two things that I must have with me when I sit down to watch Biggest Loser these days: a fattening food (i.e.: ice cream, potato chips, etc.) and a box of Kleenex.


Now, the later makes sense. There are a bunch of people sharing personal stories who are separated from their families and who tend to get emotional on air.


The former, however, makes absolutely no sense, but each week I find myself eating while watching the show. It’s not like I’m listening to the trainers’ nutrition tips and am eating a previously portioned snack like carrots and humus or a cup of popcorn or something. No. I’m sitting on the couch, probably in my PJ’s, with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s or a bag of Kettle Chips (sometimes I’ve even had both in the span of the two-hour show).


This is a phenomenon that baffles me, but each week continues. You’d think it would have the opposite affect. It should be that I want to watch each segment and while doing jumping-jacks or lifting free-weights in the living room. I’ve seen all there is to see on the show as far as obesity is concerned and there have been some cringe-worthy stomachs on that show (i.e.: season 7’s Ron). I can tell you that I don’t ever want to have to put on a sports bra and spandex shorts and weigh myself in front of millions of viewers. So why do I do what I do? I can’t explain it. Any ideas?


As for this season so far, it has been an interesting one. 30-year-old Shay weighed in as the heaviest contestant, male or female, ever on the show. Dan, the previously heaviest contestant on the show from last season has returned to finish his journey. There is a mom who lost her whole family to a car accident. There’s a young pastor who, with his wife, is expecting another child soon.


The contestants this season seem pretty gung-ho and willing to help each other out. Tracey was so intent on pushing herself that during the very first challenge, she collapsed during a 1-mile race, just shy of the finish line and was taken to the hospital where she had to stay for nearly a week.


There have, however been some slip ups. During the first workout with trainers Jillian and Bob, Shay gave up and walked out of the gym. She did come back, eventually, but as I’ve seen on this show that’s not a good sign. Then there was Julio who, after being saved from elimination, reentered the gym only to seemingly half-ass his way through his workouts when the trainers weren’t around. Turns out he put up one of the biggest weight losses in the dreaded week 2, so he must have been doing something right away from the cameras.


Things I like so far this season:

  • Contestants got to pick their partner in the order they finished the first 1-mile run challenge.
  • Jillian and Bob are training everyone as one big group, it’s not one team competing against the other.
  • Out of all the teams, one team falls below the yellow line and then only one person is voted from that team to go home. This is better because sometimes one person really works hard and is punished when the other doesn’t pick up his/her weight.

Contestants I’m cheering for:

Abby, Sean and Dan


Can’t wait for next week’s episode, wonder what kind of ice cream I’ll have.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I decided to give your blog a look-see and I was pleasantly surprised. You are a great writer (that isn't what I was surprised about). I can't say I am a fan of The Biggest Loser, but I feel I can relate as a fan of More To Love and eating. I too watch that program with an onslaught(word of the day calendar) of Peanut Butter M&Ms, Klondike Bars, and Twinkies. Yet the girls on More To Love have no intentions on losing any weight nor do they go anywhere near a sport's bra, so I don't feel bad when I snack with them as I watch.

Anyways, nice blog and I will continue to follow.