Thursday, November 20, 2008

Blah.

Blah is the sentiment I exude when it comes to describing the finale of America’s Next Top Model, Cycle 11. I have this feeling not because of the winner, but because of the actual final show. It was downright boring.

This is the first time I’ve watched the finale with other people and I was excited for the chance to talk about whom our favorite was and laugh at the bad commercials and runway walks. While we did all of this, I still felt like even our most sarcastic of comments still didn’t make the show exciting. In fact, I think the most entertaining aspects of the finale were the outfits and hairstyles of Tyra, Mr. J and the rest of the panel – and none of them are supposed to be the stars of the show (ok, well maybe Tyra, but none of the others). Her final panel outfit (including her hair) looked like she was auditioning for Coneheads 2: Connie Conehead makes America’s Next Top Model. But I guess the whole alien thing ties back to the first episode.


I do think that my biggest highlight on the episode was the fact that Mr. J designed a runway that looked more like you were walking 18 holes at the mini-golf funland. There were hills and stairs and barriers. The only thing missing was the windmill (and they were in Amsterdam, so it would have been appropriate). But as for the runway show itself, it was so rushed and choppy on the cuts that we really didn’t get a chance to see just how horrible Sam and McKey walked (and from what we did see, we knew both were pretty bad).

I was also saddened by the fact that Analeigh didn’t even make it to the final cut. My Sactown gal got the axe after her Cover Girl commercial fell flat, oh so very flat. The girl choked after having arguably the best Cover Girl commercial in ANTM’s history earlier in the season. I thought McKey’s face in her Cover Girl still was pretty, but her hair looked like she was wearing a helmet. Ick. Plus, that girl has some obnoxiously large ears that I cannot move past. During panels she tends to look a bit like a monkey to me. But as Tyra says, “pretty-pretty isn’t necessarily model-pretty.”

But I guess it goes without saying, congrats to McKey. We look forward to your horrible Cover Girl commercials when we tune into Cycle 12. And one last note, I am a slightly disappointed that someone who wears chain-mail vests was able to win ANTM.

Oh, and this just in, check out the FugGirls over at NY Mag. They were just as disappointed as I was.

No comments: